While some report that 3D printing isn’t a thing anymore, it remains one of the top tech trends for the foreseeable future. That may be because 3D printers are finding their way into classrooms and homes with startling alacrity. This blog entry shares a few choices for printers, design tools, and sources, as well as mobile device apps.
3D Printers for Home
Wondering what printers you can get for your home? Consider these three offerings, ranging from least expensive to most expensive. The Dremel IdeaBuilder packs a punch to your wallet, but offers the most flexibility and versatility in its options. The Mod T also has adherents who praise its small size as perfect for your office desk. Whether you’re looking for a home printer, or considering a small 3D printer for the classroom, there’s something available to match your budget.
- FlashForge 3D Printer – $249.90
- Micro 3D – $349
- MonoPrice Voxel 3D Printer – $399.99
- Dremel IdeaBuilder – $497.99
Looking for 3D Printing Designs and Tools?
Look no further than Thingiverse and 3D Warehouse! They have literally thousands of designs already created and ready to modify or use as is. And if you want to design your own, consider these two programs for use on your device of choice:
- Tinkercad – A wonderfully easy to use, web-based 3D printing tool.
- SketchUp Pro – This $695 program for Mac and Windows computers is available at NO CHARGE to K-12 public schools! Click the link to find out more about TCEA’s offer.
- My SketchUp – This browser-based version works great on Chromebooks and is available at no charge.
Also, check out this round-up of 3D printing apps for your mobile devices.
3D Printable Ornaments
Never worry about breaking glass ornaments again with 3D filament-based tree decorations. These curios are easy to design, modify, and print for home and office. More importantly, they make it easy to print take-home designs for students.
Find more designs online with these apps at Thingiverse using their iOS app (free) , and 3D Warehouse using SketchUp Viewer for iOS ($14.99).
Updated on 12/1/2021 with new content.