“Only forty percent of U.S. schools offer computer science courses with programming,” says Dr. Carol Fletcher, Deputy Director of the Center for STEM Education. She also shares some additional facts worth listening to. Want to get computer science certified? Seize this opportunity before it expires in December 2017. What’s more, WeTeach_CS offers a free self-paced online course with the option to earn college credit for $99 more.
Thanks to the support of the Texas Education Agency (TEA), WeTeach_CS is extending the Certification Incentive Program (CIP) through December of 2017! This means current Texas teachers planning to take the TExES CS 8-12 Certification Test during any of the four remaining 2017 testing windows may be eligible for for the Certification Incentive Program (CIP), which offers a $1,000 stipend to accepted teachers who obtain their CS certification.
Requirements for Teachers
Are you eligible for the Certification Incentive Program? You have to meet the following conditions to receive the CIP stipend:
- Be pursuing a TEA certification in Computer Science 8-12.
- Not already be certified in Computer Science or Computer Information Systems (any level).
- Be currently certified to teach in Texas or enrolled in an approved teacher certification program for Texas.
There are also deadlines to meet and documents to gather.
Required documents include your Texas Driver’s license, TEA Certification Information, and a letter from a school administrator on official letterhead. The letter should confirm your employment as a teacher or your enrollment in a teacher preparation program. If you are certified but not working for a school, the letter is not required. Finally, you will need the completed and signed Payee Information Form and Assurances Form.
As with any program, there are deadlines. These deadlines are based on the testing window that you select. Applications to test are accepted through December 2017. Deadlines (source) include the following:
June (6/28/17-7/1/17) Testing Window Deadlines:
- CIP Application due: 6/22/17, 5pm
- TExES Test Registration deadline: 6/26/17
- Proof of CS Certification due: 8/11/17, 5pm
August (8/16/17-8/19/17) Testing Window Deadlines:
- CIP Application due: 8/10/17, 5pm
- TExES Test Registration deadline: 8/14/17
- Proof of CS Certification due: 9/15/17, 5pm
October (10/4/17-10/7/17) Testing Window Deadlines:
- CIP Application due: 9/28/17, 5pm
- TExES Test Registration deadline: 10/2/17
- Proof of CS Certification due: 11/14/17, 5pm
December (12/6/17-12/9/17) Testing Window Deadlines:
- CIP Application due: 12/1/17, 5pm
- TExES Test Registration deadline: 12/1/17
- Proof of CS Certification due: 1/18/18, 5pm
Need More Information on Computer Science Certification?
If you need more information, you may want to read this post.