The premise behind the program WriteReader is simple but profound: students learn to read by creating and sharing books. Designed for students in grades K-5, the app, which is currently free, runs via the web and as a Chrome app.
How It Works
WriteReader is a scientifically-based learning platform that teaches children to read by writing their own digital books. It includes the following features:
- Create unlimited books
- Google single sign-on for fast and easy access
- Integrated Pixabay safe image search to inspire and create interesting books
- Provide feedback and input to students
- Classroom management with easy class creation
- Share and publish
- Lesson plans and resources provided
Once a student’s book has been published to the classroom library, other students (and invited family members) can read them. This provides a powerful incentive to be the best author they can possibly be.
While the creators of the program have said that they will begin charging for it sometime in 2019, it is still currently free. So grab it now and get your students reading and writing!