Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) Day is on Friday, March 11, 2022. It’s a day when schools will celebrate the importance of promoting children’s social-emotional development. The research is clear that students participating in SEL programs showed improved classroom behavior. In addition, they had better attitudes about themselves, others, and school. The theme for SEL Day this year is Finding Common Ground, Pursuing Common Good.
SEL Day Events
From webinars to Twitter chats, there are many events taking place on SEL Day. You will find a list of events you can participate in for free on the #SELDay website. There are all-day events that you can register for. Some of the topics include mindfulness, advocating for SEL, and more.
SEL Day School Activities
Below are a few activity suggestions that can be done within your school community in order to celebrate the day.
- During morning announcements on SEL Day, read a poem or quote that connects to SEL.
- Send a message of gratitude to your staff.
- Incorporate an SEL activity into your lesson.
- Take a minute for yourself in order to recharge.
- Write a kind note to your colleagues, students, or parents.
- Create an SEL library area or bookshelf in honor of SEL Day.
- Distribute lists of SEL-themed books on SEL Day.
- Write a message of gratitude to your teachers or parents.
- Do a kind thing for someone else.
More Social-Emotional Learning Resources
For other ways to incorporate the critical components of social-emotional learning in your classroom, check out these resources:
- Social-Emotional Learning Activity Templates for Google Jamboard (blog)
- Five Quick Ways to Integrate Social-Emotional Learning (blog)
- Gratitude Activities for Your Classroom (blog)
- Six Strategies for Building Empathy in the Classroom (blog)
- Six Activities to Promote Kindness with Your Students (blog)
- Social-Emotional Learning and Gratitude (podcast)
- Helping Students with Social-Emotional Challenges (blog)
- Empowering Students Through Digital Citizenship and Social-Emotional Learning (blog)
- Using Chrome Extensions to Take Brain Breaks (blog)
- Social and Emotional Learning (online, self-paced course)
Want to become a TCEA Certified Social-Emotional Educator? TCEA offers a self-paced Social-Emotional Learning course that offers up tons of information on the research behind SEL plus strategies and resources for implementation in the classroom. And it’s only $29 through March 31! You can enroll now and access the course for one full year.