Many of us are learning how to use learning management systems in ways we never imagined. While most LMSs thrive on desktop and laptop devices, what about mobile? By mobile, you may understand I’m referring to iOS tablets/phones and Android devices. For some educators, it’s easy to forget that their virtual classroom is a tap away. In this blog entry, let’s take a look at apps that can make the mobile experience smoother.
As you explore the apps below, remember that most work best when you are in teacher mode. Always be sure to preview the app with the support of your technology support team. That way, you can ensure you don’t lose critical student data or work.
LMS App Roundup
Did you know you can find an app to support Canvas LMS? Canvas has several official apps, as do Schoology and Google Classroom:
- Blackboard: Blackboard offers students a “mobile solution for students to stay informed.” It is available for iOS and Android.
- Canvas iOS/Android App: This student-centered app provides access to the main Canvas features and enjoys support from the Canvas LMS Community. For example, you can find a walk-through of the app features for iOS or Android online with everything from how to use the Dashboard to adding calendar items, and more. You can also get a parent-focused app that is free and available for both iOS and Android.
- Google Classroom: This versatile app is available for both Android and iOS. It complements the Chromebook-friendly website for G Suite Education.
- Itslearning: The itslearning learning management system offers access to a variety of tools that include bulletin updates, course updates, messaging functions, and access to course content. You can find Android and iOS versions available for download. This app serves double duty for both teachers and students.
- Schoology: The Schoology app provides instant access to the online classroom where students are able to interact with their courses. It is available for Android and iOS.
- Canvas Teacher App for iOS and Android: In this app, you will see grading and updating options. The app also makes it easier to send out communications and messages. A teacher guide is available for iOS and Android.
Now that you know about apps for popular learning management systems, what else is there to know? You may not know of popular Facebook groups for top LMSs. These Facebook groups offer a wealth of learning opportunities for teachers.
Need to get up to speed quick on a learning management system? Sign up for TCEA’s Self-Paced, Online Courses for Canvas LMS, Google Classroom, Schoology, and Seesaw.
Learning Management System Facebook Groups
Some of my favorite Facebook groups appear below. They all follow the “Ask a Question” format and then you wait for responses to flow in. They tend to discourage grouch-like content. Most responses serve to further your learning in the use of an LMS or help in solving a problem.
- Canvas LMS: This list includes two Facebook groups that sprang up at the start of COVID-19 to support teachers.
- Google Classroom: This is an assortment of Google Classroom groups. The largest is Teachers Using Google Classroom with 122,000 members.
- Itslearning Teacher’s Lounge: An itslearning-supported group for teachers.
- Schoology Educator Community: This is a phenomenal Schoology support group with constant questions and responses. You can track Schoology outages via this group, as well as get help.
A search of Facebook groups will yield even more exciting groups to connect with. Dip into these groups when you need to learn something new or solve a problem.
Share What You Like
Did you find an app you liked? Do you have a favorite LMS-focused Facebook group? Be sure to tweet out your favorite app shared above and add the hashtag #TCEA. This will ensure others can share their insights and expertise.
This blog entry has served as an introduction to LMS apps you can use to make your job easier. Want to learn more? Sign up for TCEA courses specific to learning management systems.