My heart and soul is invested in the elementary classroom. After all, I did teach for a quarter of a century in the K-6 setting and my students have had a profound impact on my life. My second grader, Ross, told me he didn’t eat apricots because they had fur on them. And, to this day, I still don’t eat canned apricots! On the last day of school, my first and second graders were allowed to ask me any question. Someone asked “How old are you?” I had them take a guess before I answered. Sarah G. piped up “65.” I was only 23 at the time, but to elementary kids, if you are a teacher, you are OLD. So numbers aren’t a big thing to me. But the sixth summer conference for elementary is BIG, in my world!
Haven’t you always wanted to be the Big Tot on Campus? Well, attending TCEA’s Tots and Technology Conference will give you that title. There are two locations this year for the BIG state of Texas. If you want a sunny island feel for summer learning, Galveston on June 12-14 will meet your need. The second T&T conference is located in Frisco, part of the greater Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex with art museums, amusement parks, and shopping galore. It will take place July 24-26. The Texas Rangers will also be in town during this time playing the Oakland A’s. What a great time to squeeze in a little major league play after a day of amazing collaborating and connecting!
I ask you, where else can you attend professional development:
- in shorts and flipflops?
- in a laid back, relaxing atmosphere?
- with a photo booth with the best silly props?
- that has you participate in BIG GAMES at the Sunday evening welcome reception?
- to network with peeps that are focused on the same grade levels?
The top three reasons to attend Tots are:
- It’s the perfect summer learning space.
- You can share successes and setbacks with like-minded educators.
- You will get energized and empowered for the 2016-2017 school year.
But don’t just take it from me. Here are a few quotes from the 2015 attendee survey.
- I want to come every year.
- To be honest, I was amazed at all the knowledge that was in one place. This was my first conference and I absolutely loved it!
- I especially enjoy attending sessions given by classroom teachers.
- I got so many great ideas it is hard to pick just one.
The *VIN* (very important news)
- TCEA is planning a super-charged, super-fun time for the Sunday evening welcome reception. It involves pit balls, LEGOs, swimming pool noodles, and rock/paper/scissors, all on a BIG scale. Curious? I hope so.
- If you need a flyer or a letter of support for your principal, TCEA has already written it. All you need to do is access it here.
- Don’t delay; register now. See you soon, as summer will be here before we know it.